Did You Know?
Submit comments on State Bike Plan; webinar today at noon
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) is still accepting comments on the first ever Illinois Bike Plan, which will focus on state policy, state roads and regional trails.
Let IDOT know that bicycling is an integral part of our transportation network and that this bike plan should make real commitments to improve conditions for cycling!
Please submit comments to IDOT at: Gabe.Sulkes@illinois.gov. Here are some key points Active Trans is asking supporters to make:
- Please drop the ban on protected bike lanes on state roads.
- Update IDOT’s design approval manual to remove obstacles for towns wanting to be more bike-friendly.
- Fund bikeways projects with federal “Transportation Alternatives” funding as well as federal transportation safety funds.
- To ensure that state routes truly become Complete Streets, IDOT should pay for 100 percent of the bike and pedestrian amenities rather than requiring local governments to pay 20 percent. Locals often can’t afford the match or they refuse to pay it, and state routes too often remain unfriendly to biking.
- Please make it easier for towns to get approval for bikeway and complete streets projects.
If you missed the public meetings, IDOT is holding a public webinar today (Tuesday) from noon to 1 p.m.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region