Did You Know?
Active Trans well represented on Emanuel's transition team
Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel has created a 12-person Transportation and Infrastructure Transition Committee, and Active Trans is well represented. Members include Adolfo Hernandez, Active Trans’ director of advocacy and outreach, and Randy Neufeld, an Active Trans board member who was the first Active Trans executive director. Neufeld now serves as the director of the SRAM Cycling Fund.
There’s a lot to like in the mayor-elect’s transportation platform, particularly his plans to:
– Increase the number bike lane miles added each year from 8 to 25.
– Give priority to the creation of protected bike lanes.
– Double the amount of bike parking.
– Complete the Bloomingdale Trail during his first term.
– Pass an ordinance to require bike parking at new and existing buildings.
– Extend and revitalize the Red Line.
– Create policies to encourage Transit Oriented Development.
In addition to this list, we think even more is possible. We will share our ideas for making Chicago a world class city for biking, walking and transit with the new administration through the transition committee. A good starting point is the Sustainable Transportation Platform that we released during the election.
In fact, anyone can share ideas with the various mayoral transition committees, and we encourage you to do so! Just go to this link and post your comments.
The mayor-elect needs to know that there is strong support for making biking, walking and transit use easier and safer! Let’s take advantage of this opportunity!
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region