Senior Manager Accounting and Human Resources
About Active Transportation Alliance
Based in Chicago, Illinois, the Active Transportation Alliance (Active Trans) works to promote walking, bicycling and public transit to create safe, healthy and equitable communities. We envision a Chicagoland where all people have access to a safe, seamless, convenient and connected transportation environment that is abundant with walking, bicycling and transit options. Together with over 20,000 members, partner organizations, staff, board and volunteers, Active Trans stands poised to harness the momentum of the 21st century, building on the energy of today’s historic demand for a society that offers healthier, cleaner, and more equitable transportation options.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Executive Director, the Senior Manager of Accounting and Human Resources will be a hands-on manager responsible for daily financial and human resources operations, including (but not limited to): accounting; accounts payable/receivable, payroll; and employee benefits. This position will serve as the principal liaison to external auditors and the key staff resource for all HR functions. The Senior Manager of Accounting and Human Resources will prepare, analyze and interpret financial reports for management information and control.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities
- Manage day-to-day finance operations including general accounting, accounts payable/receivable, commercial insurance, and contract billing.
- Manage accounting system, Accounting Seed, to insure compliance with GAAP standards and best practices for non-profits.
- Monitor internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenues, expenses, program budgets and actual expenditures. Recommend and implement improvements.
- Prepare financial statements and present financial information to senior management and Board Finance Committee in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly billing as required by contracts/agreements with customers.
- Supervise operating accounts.
- Manage day-to-day human resources functions in cooperation with the deputy executive director.
- Lead annual budgeting process, including preparing final budget for board of directors’ review and approval.
- Coordinate all audit activities. Ensure compliance with local, state and federal financial reporting requirements.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in mandatory Active Trans obligatory organizational events and activities
- Enthusiasm for the transformational nature of bicycling, walking and transit on community livability and sustainability
- A commitment to Active Transportation Alliance mission, vision and goals
- At least two years of experience with the primary responsibilities described above, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Proficiency with payroll and database accounting systems
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- CPA certification
- Master’s degree in accounting or finance
- Familiarity with ADP payroll systems
- Familiarity with Accounting Seed accounting system
Send a resume and cover letter to Sonya Cook, Finance Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. You must include the words “Senior Manager of Accounting and Human Resources” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be considered. No phone calls, please.
For priority consideration, please apply by April 19, 2019.
Start Date: This position is available immediately.
Term: This is a full-time position. The position will be based at the Active Transportation Alliance office in Chicago’s North Loop area.
Salary & Benefits
The Active Transportation Alliance offers a competitive salary based upon experience and skills as well as a progressive benefit program that includes health, dental and retirement options.
The Active Transportation Alliance is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, pregnancy, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Active Trans believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an advocacy organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.