Did You Know?
About one-third of all work trips in Chicago are comprised of people biking, walking, or riding public transit.
Get Ready to Ride
Make your riding easier and safer by following these tips.
Turn on the lights
- When the sun sets, use front and rear lights.
- Use a red flashing light in the rear and white light in front. Don’t skip the front light: It will make you more visible to oncoming traffic.
Carry loads on the bike
- Rear bike racks allow you to carry loads on the bike rather than on you, keeping you cooler and more stable.
- Attach a simple milk crate to the rack to use as a basket or upgrade to a set of panniers (saddle bags).
- Fenders on the bike reduce the amount of dirt and water thrown up by your tires onto your clothing.
- A chain guard protects your pants from damage and grease from the chain.
Want to learn more? Feel free to print out our Everyday Biking Guide.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region
Active Trans is an invaluable resource for DuPage County. The organization’s work coordinating regional discussions on issues from long-range transportation planning to Safe Routes to School is extremely important. While it is not visible to the average bicyclist or walker, we all benefit from the results.