Did You Know?
The North Suburbs include north suburban Cook County, as well as Lake and McHenry counties.
Get the latest updates on active transportation issues in the North Suburbs when you join our In Your Community: North Suburbs e-newsletter list.
LOCAL ADVOCACY GROUPS AND BIKE CLUBS
- Arlington Heights Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission
- Arlington Heights Bicycle Club
- Barrington Bicycle Club
- Bicycle Club of Lake County
- Bike Glenview
- Bike Palatine Club
- Bike and Walk Park Ridge (Facebook Group)
- Bike Wilmette (website), Bike Wilmette (Facebook Page)
- Chicago Area Tandem Society
- Des Plaines Bike and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Evanston Bike Club
- Friends of Cycling in Elk Grove
- Go Evanston (website), Go Evanston (Facebook Page)
- Highland Park Bike Walk Advisory Group
- McHenry County Bicycle Advocates
- McHenry County Bicycle Club
- Midwest Sustainability Group (includes the Go Lake County campaign)
- Mt. Prospect Bike Club
- North Shore Cycling Advocates (Facebook Group)
- Schaumburg Bicycle Club
- Velo Club Roubaix (VCR)
- Wheeling Wheelmen
LOCAL COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- Bike Lake County: regional bikeways map
- Chicago Botanic Garden: bike to the garden
- Go Green Illinois: collection of citizen’s environmental groups in the north suburbs
- Go Green Wilmette
- Northwest Municipal Conference
- Suburban Bikeways for All report
- Trails Linking Communities (Facebook page) stay updated on local and regional trail and bikeway news
As part of our Bike Walk Every Town advocacy program, we host webinars and offer other resources on how you can organize and create change in your community. Develop the skills needed to strengthen biking and walking where you live.
llinois Transportation Enhancement Program (ITEP) provides millions of dollars each year in state and federal funding for walking, biking, and trail projects around Illinois. Here’s an extensive collection of resources for applying for ITEP funding, as we all Safe Routes to School grant programs.
We also have collected an extensive list of federal, regional, county, and private grant opportunities that can be used to fund walking and biking projects.
Please email suggestions for additional local community resources to Maggie@activetrans.org.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region