Did You Know?
Looking toward the future for our 30th anniversary
Did you know Active Trans has been advocating for better transportation options in Chicagoland for 30 years?
That's right, this year marks three decades of Active Trans working for cleaner air, a more livable region and encouraging people to be more active as they get around.
Founded in 1985 as the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation (CBF), we have been the leading civic voice rallying support for better biking, walking and transit in the region.
To mark our 30th anniversary, we are launching two forward-looking initiatives: the 2020 TransFormation Campaign and the creation of a new sister non-profit called Walk Bike Go.
The 2020 TransFormation Campaign aims to achieve five bold goals in the next five years. Capitalizing on the great momentum already underway in the region to make biking, walking and transit easier and safer, we’re launching the 2020 TransFormation Campaign to raise money that will be used to achieve the following five game-changing goals in the next five years.
- Region-wide low-stress bike network: A dense, connected network of low-stress bike routes across Chicago and the suburbs.
- Transit Future: Funding for the “Transit Future” plan to build multiple new rapid transit projects.
- Biking/walking education in elementary schools: All public elementary schools in the state begin teaching biking and walking safety and encouragement.
- Mobility education in high schools: High school driver’s education becoming “mobility education” with bike, walk and transit training in addition to driving.
- Vision Zero: The state, the city of Chicago and suburbs adopt and implement comprehensive Vision Zero plans that focus on eliminating traffic fatalities and serious injuries.
The other initiative — the formation of the new sister organization called Bike Walk Go — will serve as a home for our fee-for-service work while also exploring innovative mission-aligned partnerships and ventures. This sister organization will help to amplify Active Trans’ goals of creating communities that are healthy, vibrant and environmentally friendly through better biking, walking and transit.
Please stay tuned in coming months as we continue to celebrate our 30th anniversary and share details with you on how you can get involved in the 2020 TransFormation campaign.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region