Did You Know?
Crossing Guard Appreciation Day
Celebrate the guardians of crosswalk on Wed., March 18, 2015
Crossing guards are out there to shepherd us safely across the street. They keep children safe from traffic throughout the year — no matter the conditions: wind, rain, snow or sweltering heat.
Since 2005, the State of Illinois has been officially honoring these individuals with Crossing Guard Appreciation Day.
As part of this event, Active Trans wants to hear about your favorite crossing guards.
Do you know a crossing guard who has gone the extra mile to ensure the safety of children in your community? If so, you can nominate this person for special recognition.
Crossing guards play a critical role in our communities. From protecting children as they head to school to helping their parents walk to the train station, crossing guards make the streets safer for everyone.
Drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians all owe a bit of thanks to our unsung heroes.
Here are a few ways you can show your crossing guard appreciation.
- Present them with this certificate of appreciation: Customizable Word doc certificate or PDF (General PDF certificate)
- Ask your town to deem Wednesday, March 18, 2015 as Crossing Guard Appreciation Day.
- Write a thank you note.
- Have one of your children draw a picture of your crossing guard in action.
- Bring him or her flowers. Give the guard a gift card to a local business.
- Spread the word about your exemplary crossing guard on social media and encourage others to do the same.
Even if you don't typically encounter crossing guards in your community, there's likely a crossing guard at work near where you live or work.
Crossing Guard Appreciation Day provides a great opportunity to introduce yourself and say thanks for his or her efforts in keeping children in the community safe.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region