Did You Know?
2015 Active Transportation Platform wants safer streets
Based upon input from thousands members and supporters from across the region, Active Trans has released its 2015 Active Transportation Platform for the upcoming elections for mayor and alderman in the City of Chicago.
The platform features specific action items to achieve progress on five core goals:
- Design streets that work for everyone whether they walk, bike, use transit or drive
- Commit the city to reaching and exceeding the milestones of the Chicago Streets for Cycling Plan 2020
- Grow education and enforcement programs that improve the behavior of all road users
- Improve active transportation access and movement along the lakefront
- Connect people to jobs and educational opportunities by expanding investment in and access to public transit
Highlights include calling on leaders to expand and maintain the city’s growing network of protected bike lanes; establish a sustainable funding source for pedestrian infrastructure improvements at the city’s most dangerous intersections; and increase investment in transit to fund improvements and expansion of the existing network.
The platform also advocates for leaders to support low-cost, near-term improvements on Chicago’s Lakefront Trail, such as creating separated space for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Members and supporters provided feedback on our advocacy priorities at our 2014 Member Meeting & Advocate Summit. Following the summit, we released an online survey to collect ideas from supporters who were unable to attend the meeting.
The 2015 municipal elections in Chicago will take place on February 24, 2015 to elect the mayor and aldermen in all 50 of the city’s wards. If no candidate receives an absolute majority in a particular race, a runoff between the top two candidates will be held for that seat on April 7, 2015. The deadline to register to vote is January 27, 2015.
Active Trans will be releasing a Suburban Active Transportation Platform ahead of municipal elections in suburban communities in Spring 2015.
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region