Customer Experience & Event Communications Internship
Put some real experience on your resume! The Chicago region’s premier transportation advocacy non-profit, Active Transportation Alliance, is seeking two part-time event interns interested in a career in event/sports management, event marketing and production and volunteer management. Our interns will gain a well-rounded experience in nonprofit special events, but one will have a stronger focus on marketing while the other will have a stronger focus on event planning and logistics.
The Active Trans event team produces Fifth Third Bike the Drive, one of the largest bicycling events in the country, the Bike Commuter Challenge and Chicago Bike Month. Interns gain valuable practical experience in marketing, and participant event experience by working on these events. The ideal candidate will aid with all aspects of communications, customer registration experience and event marketing, including social media & eblasts, sponsor communication, volunteer outreach, managing participant inquiries and day-of-event Information tent.
- Assist the customer service side of registration; answering participant emails, phone calls, general inquiries related to Bike the Drive
- Work with Volunteer & Events Manager to create discount codes, manage participant information and group sales
- Assist with participant questions regarding event registration and for add-ons/refund
- Merchandise ordering and fulfillment process
Communication & Event Support
- Assist with event marketing communication under Event Marketing Director including social media, marketing e-blasts, website updates, blog posts
- Serve as an on-site Production Assistant that runs the Information Tent on the day-of-event
- Help with sponsorship recruitment and coordination
- Attend event team meetings, committee planning meetings and volunteer training
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in Active Trans obligatory organization-wide events and activities.
- Participate in the implementation of Active Trans’ office-wide Racial Equity Action Plan.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. If you believe you have the skills to succeed in this role, regardless of your professional or educational background, we encourage you to apply.
- A commitment to Active Transportation Alliance’s mission, vision, and goals.
- A passion for the transformational nature of walking, bicycling and transit on social and racial equity, community livability and sustainability; or willingness to learn and embrace same.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal and written.
- Ability to successfully multi-task and manage time.
- Appreciation for team-based work environments.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Energy and enthusiasm for in-person events.
- Interest in event management, volunteer management, marketing, and/or general nonprofit work
- Prior special events or social media marketing experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office is a plus.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Ability to lift and carry items up to 50
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Ability to sit at a desk for extended periods.
- Ability to stand, walk and be on your feet outdoors for extended periods.
- Ability to communicate and exchange information.
Start Date & Term
This is a spring/summer internship (April – September) and will be a mix of working from home and onsite at our office downtown, depending on Covid protocols. To fully experience the benefits of the internship, the candidate must be available and onsite for Bike the Drive week, Monday, August 28 through Sunday, September 3, 2023 (Labor Day Weekend). Additional time commitment three weeks prior and the weekend of the event is expected.
Salary & Benefits
A stipend of $2,500 and class credit is available to qualified interns who can commit to 15-20 hours per week for the summer-long internship.
Please email a current resume and cover letter to Events Manger, Brittany Gillespie at email@example.com. No phone calls, please. This internship is open until it is filled. For priority consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume no later than Monday, February 27th.
About Active Transportation Alliance
Based in Chicago, Illinois, Active Transportation Alliance (Active Trans) is a nonprofit advocacy organization that advocates for walking, bicycling and public transit to create safe, healthy, and equitable communities across the Chicago metro region. We believe that mobility equity is fundamental to human and civil rights and envision a future where all people have access to a safe, seamless, convenient, and connected transportation environment that is abundant with walking, bicycling and transit options. Together with over 20,000 members, supporters, partner organizations, staff, board and volunteers, Active Trans works at multiple levels to build a movement, advance public policy, provide technical assistance and organize communities around active transportation. Active Trans is committed to creating an inclusive and equitable organizational environment that advances its racial equity plan and actively increases and sustains diversity as a collective effort among all stakeholders.
Active Transportation Alliance is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, and encourages people of all backgrounds to apply. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Active Trans is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, pregnancy status, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Active Trans works to practice the principles of racial equity, diversity, and inclusion in all we do and seeks to recruit, develop, and retain talent from a diverse candidate pool.