Did You Know?
Become an Ambassador
WHAT DO ACTIVE TRANS AMBASSADORS DO?
If you’re someone who is excited about helping to make our region a better place for walking, biking and transit, you might enjoy serving as an Active Trans Ambassador.
Active Trans Ambassadors represent the Active Transportation Alliance as volunteers at events in Chicago and the suburbs. Anyone can become an ambassador!
You help us spread the message about walking, biking and transit advocacy, inspire others to join the movement and promote healthy transportation options to residents throughout the region.
HOW TO BECOME AN AMBASSADOR
To become an Ambassador, you’ll attend one of our evening training sessions. Trainings are held at the Active Trans office in downtown Chicago (35 E. Wacker Drive, Suite 1782, Chicago, IL 60601).
Those who go through the training will be given a special, limited edition Active Trans Ambassador t-shirt. Trainings are offered three times per year in the spring and summer.
- 2020 training dates:
- March 25, 2020 – 6 pm to 7:30 pm at the Active Trans Office
- May 5, 2020 – 6 pm to 7:30 pm at the Active Trans Office
- July 9, 2020 – 6 pm to 7:30 pm at the Active Trans Office
- General Interest: Let us know if you’re interested in hearing about future training dates and we will contact you when they are scheduled.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As an Active Trans Ambassador, here’s what you’ll do:
- Volunteer at events: Represent Active Trans at events and encourage event attendees to take specific actions (e.g. sign a petition, fill out a survey, etc.). We’ll give you talking points and materials.
- Attend events in your own community: If you are aware of a popular event in your community such as a farmers market, health fair or public meeting, you can ask the organizers if you can represent Active Trans as an ambassador.
Past Ambassador event opportunities have included MB Bike the Drive, food truck festivals, media appearance on Jam TV, South Branch Park Advisory Council’s Summer Party, Logan Square Farmers Market, Riverside Beer Fest, One Earth Film Festival, Transportation Justice Dialogues, our Bike Week Rally and many others!
As an Ambassador, you will be building awareness of the following Active Trans campaigns:
- Safe Streets Fund – Chicago
- Bus Advocacy – Chicago
- Back on the Bus Petition – Chicago
- Chicago River Trail – Chicago
- Logan Blvd. to Lathrop Homes Project – Chicago
- Bike Walk Every Town – Suburbs
- Trail Connect Chicagoland – Suburbs
UPCOMING EVENTS & ACTIVITIES
If you’ve gone through the Ambassador training, please let us know if you’re available for any of the following events:
- Bike Walk Fund petition data entry
- Back on the Bus advocacy
- Bike the Drive 2020
- Bike to Work Week 2020 pit-stops
- Lead Ambassador
- Identify transportation priorities in your community or ward
- Meet with elected officials to promote the Safe Streets Funds
- Additionally for Chicago residents: Share Bus Friendly Streets Report Cards and promote Chicago River Trail for relevant wards
- Collect signatures for the Safe Streets Fund
- Recruit other community members to take action at activetrans.org/takeaction
If you’ve already gone through the training, join our Ambassador Facebook Group.
- Advocacy & tabling talking points (pdf)
- Chicago Bike Walk Fund Petition (online petition)
- Metra Electric Petition (online petition)
- Advocacy supporters email list sign up form (online form)
- Advocacy e-newsletter sign-up sheet (pdf)
- Commonly asked biking, walking, transit questions (pdf)
We’d love to hear from you. With general questions, please contact any of the staff listed below.
For events in Chicago, please contact Julia Gerasimenko, email@example.com
For suburban events, please contact Maggie Melin, firstname.lastname@example.org
Make a Donation
Your tax-deductible donation supports the important work that Active Trans does throughout the region