Part/Full-time, Temporary Position
The Active Transportation Alliance, a nonprofit bicycling, walking and public transit advocacy organization, seeks a Volunteer Coordinator/Event Assistant to recruit and manage volunteers for MB Bike the Drive, one of the largest bicycling events in the country. The qualified candidate will also assist with all aspects of event production.
Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing, communication, technical skills, time-management and organizational skills with an interest in working as a strong contributor to a team. Candidates should also have an interest in event management, volunteering recruitment/coordination, general nonprofit work and bicycling. This part-time to full-time, temporary position starts Tuesday, February 22 and ends Friday, June 3. Pay rate: $10-15/hour depending on experience.
START DATE: Tuesday, February 22
LENGTH OF JOB: Temporary position. February 22 through June 3 (end date tentative).
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Volunteer Coordinator will initially work 15-20 hours/week, Monday through Friday, during business hours for the month of March. Starting in early April, weekly hours will transition into a full-time, 35-40 hour work week as we approach MB Bike the Drive. Evenings and weekend hours are needed several weeks prior to the event. The Volunteer Coordinator reports to the Senior Manager of Events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In their primary duties, the Volunteer Coordinator will:
- Recruit volunteers for pre-event production and day-of event positions,
- Manager online volunteer registration system, and content for volunteer pages on website
- Manage event volunteers at MB Bike The Drive
- Coordinate pre-, day-of and post-event volunteer communication, on phone, in person and through email
- Solicit organizations about group volunteering opportunities
- Coordinate volunteer groups and increase volunteer turnout
- Facilitate two volunteer orientations prior to the event
- Facilitate Wednesday volunteer nights
- Build and manage volunteer database records in Salesforce software
- Manage and update volunteer materials
- Create and execute volunteer informational e-mailings
- Update volunteer job descriptions, web site copy and blog posts
- Direct and answer phone calls about MB Bike the Drive
- Revise and launch online volunteer survey
- Must work event weekends: Friday – Sunday, May 25- 27
- Additional event coordination duties as needed
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent technical skills, especially Microsoft Excel
- Excellent directing and leadership skills
- Flexible and able to multi-task
- Able to work in an organized manner so that other staff members can pick up where work was left off
- Available to work occasional evenings and the weekend of the events, May 25-27
- Able to work in an unstructured and informal environment with limited supervision
- Good at formulating and implementing creative strategies for problem solving
- Must be patient and kind to volunteers and prospective volunteers
- Good customer service and interpersonal communication skills
- Writes and speaks in a friendly, concise and accurate manner
- Interest in bicycling and bicycling advocacy a plus
- Experience in database software a plus
- Ability to lift 40 lbs
MB Bike the Drive is an Active Trans’ fundraiser, the proceeds of which promote walking, bicycling and public transit to create healthy, sustainable and equitable communities. We envision a Chicagoland that is a fun and healthy place to live, work and play.
No hard copies, phone calls or faxes please.
Candidates are encouraged to learn more about the Active Transportation Alliance and its programs at www.activetrans.org.
Submit a cover letter explaining interest in the job, qualifications and resumeby email to Maureen Stern, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Volunteer Coordinator, by Friday, February 2, 2018.
Active Transportation Alliance is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.