Put some real experience on your resume! The Chicago region’s premier transportation advocacy non-profit, Active Transportation Alliance, is seeking two part-time event interns interested in a career in event/sports management, event marketing and production and volunteer management. Our interns will gain a well-rounded experience in nonprofit special events, but one will have a stronger focus on marketing while the other will have a stronger focus on event planning and logistics.
The Active Trans event team produces MB Bike the Drive, one of the largest bicycling events in the country, the Bike Commuter Challenge and Chicago Bike Week. Interns gain valuable practical experience in event production by working on these events. The ideal candidate will assist with all aspects of pre-production and event management, including permitting, vendor and sponsor management, volunteer coordination, route mapping and day-of-event logistics.
- Secure and manage select vendors for MB Bike the Drive
- Assist with layout of rest stops and festival area
- Manage inventory & ordering of event supplies
- Assist with City of Chicago permitting process
- Assist with route logistics, signage and Ride Guide content
- Assist with volunteer recruitment and coordination
- Serve as On-Site Event Manager on the day-of-event, overseeing volunteers and vendors
- Attend committee planning meetings and volunteer trainings
- Assist with the registration process, mailings and packet pick-up
- Prep materials for packet mailings
- Administrative tasks such as copying, sorting, envelope stuffing, etc.
- Answer participant e-mails/resolve issues
- Draft creative blog, website, and social media content
- Implement Social Media Strategy as directed and lead social media monitoring and analysis for MB Bike the Drive.
- Coordinate distribution of brochures and posters
- Assist with sponsorship contract fulfillment
The Active Transportation Alliance is a nonprofit advocacy organization that works to improve conditions for bicycling, walking and transit and engage people in healthy and active ways to get around.
Qualified candidates should have an interest in event management, volunteer management, marketing, and/or general nonprofit work. Interest in bicycling, mass transit and pedestrian issues is a plus. Knowledge of Microsoft Office is required, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus. Qualified candidates should possess excellent writing, communications, time-management and organizational skills with an interest in working as a strong contributor to a fast-paced team. The position may also require physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
This internship is for the spring semester (February – mid June) with a possible extension through the summer and is onsite at our office in downtown Chicago. To fully experience the benefits of the internship, the candidate must be available and onsite for MB Bike the Drive weekend, Friday, May 25 through Sunday, May 27, 2018 (Memorial Day Weekend). Additional time commitment three weeks prior and the weekend of the event is expected.
Class credit or stipend are available to the qualified intern who can commit to 10-20 hours per week for the semester-long internship.
Submit resume and cover letter to Maureen Stern, [email protected], by Friday, January 19. Please put “Special Event Internship” in the subject line. No faxes, phone calls, or visits, please.