The Active Transportation Alliance is the Chicago region’s voice for better biking, walking and transit. We seek a dynamic, talented individual to join our team as Director of Individual Giving and Development. Duties include assisting the Executive Director with major donor fundraising, and managing all other individual giving activities including membership and donation recruitment, renewal and fulfillment. The Director of Individual Giving and Development also manages the fundraising elements of the Annual Awards Reception, the Business Membership program, and grants fundraising and administration. The position oversees the Development Associate staff position and the volunteer Associate Board that supports donor-member recruitment events.
· Develop/maintain yearly fundraising project plan and budget; monitor, evaluate and report on progress towards goals.
· Create a strategy to increase individual giving donations and memberships through email and direct mail appeals, social media, engaging and converting event participants, and other activities.
· Oversee and execute, in partnership with the Development Associate, all individual giving operations including management of contacts in Salesforce; creation and execution of appeals, renewals, auto-renewals and monthly giving; processing donations/memberships; and maintenance of the member benefits program.
· Manage on-site donor/member recruitment and assist with sponsor activation at Active Trans events including the Bike Week Rally and MB Bike the Drive.
· Oversee and coordinate donor/member cultivation events led by the volunteer Associate Board.
· Participate on the team that plans and executes the Annual Member Meeting.
· Direct and coordinate grants research, applications and administration in cooperation with program and policy staff who take the lead on grant writing and foundation relationships.
· Assist the Executive Director in creating the annual work plan for Major Donor cultivation and retention, with relationship management led by the Executive Director. The Development Director will conduct donor research, develop and deliver benefit incentives to major donors, and facilitate communications between the Executive Director, board members and major donors.
· Lead the fundraising components of the annual awards reception including ticket sales and sponsorships, with logistics led by the Events Team. Note that the Events Team also manages corporate sponsorships for Active Trans’ bike ride events.
· Keep institutional financial data current on GuideStar, website, and in Annual Report.
· Submit program reports and dashboard metrics.
· Recruit and manage development department interns and consultants.
· Participate in organizational leadership activities as part of senior staff.
· Minimum 3 years demonstrated success with individual giving through donations and/or membership.
· CRM software experience, preferably with Salesforce.
· Strong communications skills, including written and verbal.
· Demonstrated program and budget management experience.
· Ability to work with persons of diverse economic and ethnic backgrounds.
· Willingness to periodically work nights and weekends.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
· A passion for the transformational nature of walking, bicycling and transit on community livability and sustainability.
· Major donor and grants fundraising
· Event planning and logistics
· Non-profit membership programs
· Email and direct mail fundraising
· Managing employees
· Development work in the Chicago area
Salary and Benefits
The Active Transportation Alliance offers a competitive salary based upon experience and skills as well as a progressive benefit program that includes health, dental and retirement options.
August 2017 or as soon as possible.
This position is open until filled. For priority consideration, please submit an application no later than July 14, 2017.
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Development Director” in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be considered. No phone calls, please.