Active Transportation Alliance is seeking an individual with political campaign or community organizing experience to join our fight for healthy, sustainable and equitable communities. The ideal candidate will have organizing experience in Chicago’s low-income communities and communities of color.
The Campaign Organizer will lead outreach for the 2018 statewide election and the 2019 municipal election cycles. The organizer will gather input on issue platforms and built support among a diverse group of civic and community-based organizations. The individual will connect with elected officials, candidates, and voters to educate leaders about sustainable transportation issues and raise the profile of our issues in local races.
This full-time, salaried position is available immediately and will last at least through the end of 2019, with the potential for an extension.
Essential Duties and Accountabilities
- Build diverse, regional coalitions of support for issue platforms, with support of Active Trans staff, partners and volunteers
- Engage elected officials, candidates, and staff on sustainable transportation issues
- Recruit and train volunteers to participate in election advocacy activities in local communities
- Track and report on progress of outreach activities
- Coordinate development and distribution of election-related communications
- Frequent travel throughout Chicago and surrounding suburbs via biking, walking, public transportation or car share
- Regular evening and weekend work hours required for meetings, rallies, events, etc. Hours worked outside the regular workday can be flexed off at a later date
- A passion for and understanding of the transformational nature of walking, bicycling and transit on health, equity, and sustainability
- A commitment to Active Transportation Alliance mission, vision and goals
- 3-5 years of demonstrated political campaign or community organizing success
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working in low-income communities and communities of color strongly preferred
- Digital organizing experience preferred, including social media and CRM experience
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
Send a resume and cover letter to Kyle Whitehead at [email protected]. You must include the words ‘Campaign Organizer’ in the subject line. Electronic submissions only; no mailed or faxed submissions will be accepted. No phone calls, please.